Formula ks2 @ Suzuka wednesday December 22th 2010

My first race was very short, after a P2 on the grid I started well and found me P1, rising without much history from that was cold tires, and braking of 90degrees right Sergio gave me the inside I pushed a little bit, it asuffit to damage the car and to eject off the track, taking with me one or two other pilots (for the cost bill sent to Captain Sparrow)
but it is true that the Netcode version 1.2 is even worse than the 1.1, which is totally abnormal NetKar as a simulation, it is time Kunos do something about it
So after the shock towards the bar where I tapped into the reserve rum Captain Sergio and got treated by his nurses. HIC !!!!!
second race I wanted to go in the middle of the grid, thus qualyfs cool! good start and wait and see strategy! seeing the first start, and with the rhythm I knew they had problems they would tire in the middle of the race, I wisely kept the contact 3 / 4 seconds, saving up my tires for me to serve again later in the race, it has not failed, I found myself first, it was enough to keep away quietly with Daniel who was 12 seconds and hop! victory!!
merci a Bjorn et a Allessandro pour leur acceuil et cette superbe soirée
a bientot Tous

Laurent

In race one there was a big crash at Degner on the first lap, I was running fourth or so and found myself committing to the second part of the corner with a huge wreck in front of me, any attempt to thread through the mess was impossible and I hit someone, no idea who. I will check in the replay.

Half the field were then coming out of the pits and we all got going again, I then had an incident with Daniel a few laps later at 130R that I think was something of a misunderstanding but mainly my fault for being too hesitant. Daniel (Ouff, this is) had a poor run through spoon and I had a huge run on him on the back straight, I pulled out to pass as we approached the top of the hill but hit a wall of air. I could not match Daniel's top end speed and when I realised that I was not going to get more then my front wheels in line with his rears I decided to pull out of the move. At this point we were tramping up to 130R at around 280kmh, and I doubt Daniel could see where I was in his mirrors. I ducked back to slot in behind Daniel and then run through 130R and try a pass on a brakes for the chicane. Sadly, as I chopped back in behind, Daniel lifted. I presume Daniel, that you normally ran 130R flat, and so you were probably lifting to concede the corner to me. At those speeds there is no room to move, and the lift, when I was right on it, caused me to hit from behind and we both had a massive accident in 130R. Apologies to Daniel, I should have backed out of the move earlier, or stuck with the inside line. After this I restarted again and ran a lonely race to 7th.

Race two was much more fun. I started further back in sixth, but with Sergio I got a great start, we both piled through the pack and I was second to the Marlboro liveried machine coming out of the first turn. This surprised me marginally as I braked way too early for it, being cautious on cold tyres.

Coming up to the end of the first lap Mattia had a run on me coming out of 130R and I knew he was quicker than me on the whole, so when I saw him making a move I gave him room. It was better to let him go on ahead and try to agitate Sergio, this allowed me to run my own race and not have Mattia chomping at my gearbox all race long. Sometimes there is no point in blocking, and as is often the case in real racing, one can learn alot more from following a faster driver than they ever can from vociferously defending a position. It was a good move by Mattia, we both gave eachother room and cleanly got through the chicane.

Over the next few laps, to my surprise, I kept Sergio and Mattia in sight. As everyone's tyres bedded in after a couple of laps things evened out, and my strategy started to come into play.

After the incidents in the first race I decided to throw a curveball into my plans for race two, and run with a pit stop. Starting sixth I figured that if qualifying pace was anything to go by then I was in a battle with Laurent and Cedric for fourth or fifth place. As such, I had nothing to lose by trying something new. I started the race with 32 litres of fuel on board with fresh tyres, with a plan to pit on lap seven and run to the flag. This enabled me to have a lower fuel load than everyone and fresher tyres, for most of the race, with the small problem that I would lose around 20 seconds with a pit stop.

On lap four I was catching Mattia and Sergio a little, as my tyres held up better on the lighter fuel load. Into Degner Sergio spun, Mattia hit him and I avoided both and took the lead. At this point it was time to push, I had Laurent three seconds back and I needed to make that gap as big as possible. Laurent, as he mentioned, was being Prost and looking after his tyres, he was looking like a winner, but i had to push. On lap six, after extending a gap of 6.5 seconds or so to Laurent, I got on the throttle a little too early in Dunlop corner. As I am sure you all found at some point in your lapping of Suzuka, the camber of Dunlop makes it very challenging, and if the car oversteers in the early part of the corner it is very difficult to get back. I got it back, but only after losing a huge amount of speed. Now, with Laurent large in my mirrors I had two laps to make a gap before my stop. At the end of lap seven I then got sideways on the brakes into the chicane just before pitting, Laurent inherited the lead and I came out of the pits in fourth, behind Daniel (2nd) and Cedric (3rd).

On fresh tyres I began to hunt down Cedric very quickly, his tyres were gone by this stage and I was taking up to 2.5 seconds per lap off him. When I arrived behind him I was caught out, Cedric got very sideways through Degner and i was fully committed to the corner I had nowhere to go. Degner is not a corner you can play with, and when you throw the car in you cannot adjust it. I hit the brakes to avoid Cedric, the car skipped sideways and I went into the gravel. Luckily not in a big way and I did not lose too much speed as I rejoined the track. At the end of the lap Cedric went off at the chicane and I was able to take third place. I then made inroads into Daniel's second place, starting around 11 seconds back from him I pushed and pushed, hoping that he might make a mistake. By the chequered flag I was one second behind him, Daniel kept it clean and made no real mistakes on very worn tyres and earned a great second place.

It was a great attacking race for me, very different to Laurent's calmer choice. Had it been more of a normal race i think my third place would have been fifth or sixth, but it went differently. Laurent was too far to catch with a pit stop, though I do wonder if my strategy would have worked better for a driver better than me. Moving up from sixth to third in a race on such a challenging track and demanding car was satisfying for me. Congratulations to Laurent and thanks everyone for some great racing.

Jon.

Yes Captain, I really felt the shock, but do not worry, it was not a maneuver
intentional, it is considered a racing incident and I do not worry takes rigor,
but !!!!!! it was a bit daring to overtake me here! it will cost you a barrel of rum, and for the trouble you lend me a weekend of pretty redhead who was with you in the picture !!!!!! being injured yesterday following our attachment I have not able to enjoy lol!!!!

Yes Captain, I really felt the shock, but do not worry, it was not a maneuver
intentional, it is considered a racing incident and I do not worry takes rigor,but !!!!!! it was a bit daring to overtake me here!

I saw at the first corners that your tires where cold at the first corners, so when you go a bit wide at Degner I take the chance, but I try to be in inside and give you room, but sometimes at the wheel you see things in a different way, but like I said I will look into the replay.

it will cost you a barrel of rum, and for the trouble you lend me a weekend of pretty redhead who was with you in the picture !!!!!! being injured yesterday following our attachment I have not able to enjoy lol!!!!

Rum, no problem! Bbut I think the girls are very tired for now, after the big pirate party we had last night. But I will see what I can do, in a special attention to you!:D

Thank you Jon, compliments from a great driver like you are very pleased,
when I came upon you, and I followed you, I was wondering where I could attack you because you were going very fast, but I was on my backup strategy on my tires and I decided to wait for 3 or 4 final laps to carry out an attack, so when I saw you go into the pits! oops! I almost got out to the reacceleration of surprise! lol it took me at least one turn to regain a normal level and monitor the gap with Daniel!! your strategy was not bad, but the length of the race was not enough, 20 seconds 8 rounds is almost mission impossible to resume the more I save my tires You had at least 8 / 10 more laps
But congratulations on your ascent Jon!!! Bravo

Some good analysis in these reports and mine is much the same. Race 1 i got caught up in the Degner disaster on lap 2 and got back to the pits and started again. Yes, Jon you made a great run on me down the short straight to 130R and I pretty much was going to let you have it but it was a mistake on my part as I lifted when I should have just stayed flat. I have the paddles on my G25 set up for look left and right and I don't use the virtual mirror -trying to keep it real!- so as we approached the 200 braking marker I looked left to see the front of your car about midships on my own, but as we hit the 100 metre board I slowed too much to stay on the outside thinking you were going to go on the inside and, boom. Sorry for any ill chosen words as I packed my kit and retired the game. :)

2nd race I used qualy to try a few setup changes and started near the back. I always try to make a few average laps in the beginning of the race as I realize it's an endurance not a 5 lap sprint and cars will usually come back to you if you stay focused and look after the tyres.
After about 6 laps, found my self 3rd and then 2nd when Jon pitted and tried to stay constant or close to Laurent @ 1.43ish per lap. I think I got it down to 10 secs difference until I had a moment into the chicane ( along with Dunlop, the hardest most important cnr on the track I think.) and it went out to 16 seconds. last few laps were tough as the tyres were going off and Jon was closing @ 3-4 seconds a lap. I couldn't believe it when I saw him some distance behind after the 130R on the last lap, and next thing I know, he is right behind me in to the chicane! got to the line in 2nd and pretty pleased with that as 1st and 3rd were way quicker than me.
I love Suzuka as it is a real setup test and one has to balance speed and grip as well as feel. I don't think I got it right here, but I had spent the last week driving the 1982 F1 cars in rfactor around a GP4 version of suzuka and the Chicane and Dunlop were very different from this version. More practice is needed, but onwards to the next one. Cheers all, and Merry Xmas...I'm going to go and play in the snow.

My first race was very short, after a P2 on the grid I started well and found me P1, rising without much history from that was cold tires, and braking of 90degrees right Sergio gave me the inside I pushed a little bit, it asuffit to damage the car and to eject off the track, taking with me one or two other pilots (for the cost bill sent to Captain Sparrow)

Well Laurent, after watch the replay, you better send the bill to someone else because I didn't do anything wrong, maybe it took you by surprise, but that's part of the game.

I think accidents are unfortunately just a part of racing, although we try to avoid them. I also was caught in the aftermath of that accident. To me it looked like Sergios move was maybe a little eager on the first lap with cold tires and brakes for everyone. But he where through. Laurent probably didnt see him, and also the netcode could be to blaim.
As for me I got hit by the car before me, that hit a car standing sideways, and it jumped back at me very unrealistically (net code again) so one lap down for me and a bunch of other racers.

Looking at the lap times after that, things were very close all the way up the field on almost every following lap.

I had a great battle with S. Sirignano who I shared similar pace with, and didnt realize half of it until I watched the replay. I actually let him pass after going off road because I thought he was lapping me, but it turned out he wasnt (newbie mistake) lol. So a couple laps later I was right behind again where he made a mistake in the last chicane, I couldnt brake hard enough and touched him, which sent him into the box and one lap back =(
I stayed a short while to let him go on ahead of me, but realised that he was standing pretty much still and the wrong way.

If we hit someone, or gain position by cutting track, we are to let the overtaken pass.. it's clear. But if we accidentally hit someone.. they get their car hurt but you are fine.. you cant really go into the pit with them with a fully functional car..

In casual races like this I guess we have to take it for what it is (net code problems and not enough advanced penalty and damage model). But in league races we should have a steward and also a commentator I think, who can also inform us of gap times, positions, who should pass and so on during the races.

Sergio no problem, I do not blame you anyway as Kunos not correct his Netcode we find ourselves faced with this kind of situation, one feels a shock
the other not, the envelope of the cars is too limited and too excessive fragility, in reality
if the drivers of great price were cars so fragile they would not be many at the finish, so I'm your advice and send the bill to Kunos

Yep! Bjorn, I'll do my jogging every morning to learn it over, just to run the ship of my friend Sergio! Lol I buy a camel story today to recognize the surroundings and especially all issues Relief and tries to find a hotel
This circuit is wonderful, excuse me for the next week but I have never driven this car

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back