FIA to award double points in F1 final race

I've read that the race promoters for the other races aren't happy because it makes Abu Dhabi seem more important than their race....

"But the really powerful opposition has come from promoters of other Grands Prix on the 19 race calendar, who have been on the phone to Ecclestone since the announcement, questioning the justification for the final race, in Abu Dhabi, to be considered “more important” than their race."

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/12/double-points-idea-for-final-f1-grand-prix-to-hit-the-buffers/

That would be a lot of money and pressure on FIA to remove that rule. I hope they can press the issue and force FIA to back off this one.

I think if they're going to go down the double-points route, it should be for special races like Monaco, Spa, Monza, São Paolo.

Give it some actual meaning.

We can't fight against sponsors, FIA, Ecclestone and money interests so I suggest double pts for a special race during the champ but not the last! Or at least a double final race. :(

Would be interesting if say, Fernando has a 49 points lead going in Abu dhabi with Vettel being 2nd in the drivers championship, but then Fernando's car had a mechanical failure and Vettel wins the race, gets 50 points and beats Alonso, I wonder how the public would react...

Would be interesting if say, Fernando has a 49 points lead going in Abu dhabi with Vettel being 2nd in the drivers championship, but then Fernando's car had a mechanical failure and Vettel wins the race, gets 50 points and beats Alonso, I wonder how the public would react...

To be honest, I think there would be outrage, no matter who it happens to - and rightly so. How can a guy who had worse results than another overall, win the championship? It really makes less and less sense the more I think about it.

Well done once again, FIA :thumbsdown:

Actually, imagine Chelsea leading the EPL by 5 points with 1 match to play, but losing it because they lost the last match, and the second placed team won theirs, making Chelsea lose because of double points in the last race.

Would there be outrage? Oh yes there will! :whistling:

Actually, imagine Chelsea leading the EPL by 5 points with 1 match to play, but losing it because they lost the last match, and the second placed team won theirs, making Chelsea lose because of double points in the last race.

Would there be outrage? Oh yes there will! :whistling:
I'm a Swansea fan, so no chance of them doing this, but imagine how empty the victory would feel too. In F1 if it's not already wrapped up going into the last race, it will not feel like a real title, a real accomplishment, and depending on how it goes, not sure whether it'll be easy to consider the champion a real champion.

In F1 if it's not already wrapped up going into the last race, it will not feel like a real title, a real accomplishment, and depending on how it goes, not sure whether it'll be easy to consider the champion a real champion.

I'll almost guarantee that if this did happen, the winning driver / team will accept the result with open arms, all the associated glory, and plenty of fanfare. It will also be applauded by the media and those running F1, since it will be under the "new" rules.
Many fans will see it as "hollow" but it won't matter a damn to those running the show, they must have already considered this possibility before adopting the rule.

I'm only for double points if the actual race distance is double, no matter what race it is. But then again, in modern F1, this isn't practical.

My, I've had an idea - what if all the races(except Monaco) are the same distance, then they make it equal points! Brilliant plan, innit? Why haven't we thought of this before?

Oh wait...:whistling:

This a foolish idea. In fact, while I am at it saying the 50 points rule is stupid, why don't we go back to the top-eight-scores only points system? People had to work for their points, and there were several good years of epic title battles... 2003... 2007, 2008...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back