F1 2011 F1 exe stopped working (on loading game) AGAIN !!!!!

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Well im so fed up now......this is about the 5th time its happened to me now....i apply the fix that someone posted on youtube ..but each time i have to reconfigure all my keyboard controls and my online rank goes back to 1....but evenmore annoying is that all my saved setups are gone too. Love the game but am totally fed up of starting from scratch time after time. This time i managed to claw my way up to a rank of 25 after a week or so of racing....so pi$$ed off.

ok.....well could someone please tell me the files that contain all my save data....set ups and progress.?
Im gonna start from scratch yet again but i plan to back up the save files from time to time....in the hope that when i get this problem again, i can just put the ones ive backed up in where they belong.
So in short.....which files contain my progress and saved setups etc???

Thanks in advance

If you have a steamversion why not reinstall the game? Simply delete the game folder and restart the steam service and your game is brand new again :)

I doubt it is a GFWL problem really, but who can tell?

I re-installed from fresh 4 days ago, and got my career etc. back via a backup. I ran the game 3 times yesterday, and on the 3rd attempt I had to reset my controller again by starting with the keyboard.

I back up via a .bat file and a vb script running every 2 hours as a scheduled task, whether I am playing or not. The files are small and my external hard drive is big :)

There are 2 folders I backup (Windows 7 x64), and another one that I only backed up once. I have only done it once because it is a GFWL folder than contains a DLC folder, and I have other GFWL games and DLC. The regular 2 hour backup would soon add up to a vast amount of data. I can't be bothered to edit the script to pick out individual folders within that folder and omit the dlc folder

Anyway, your F1 2011 game data is at :-

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2011\savegame

The GFWL folder I regularly back up (needlessly?) is at :-

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive

The GFWL folder that contains DLC (and who knows what else?) is at :-

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

Cheers :)

PS. At least you made me look, as I have just deleted over 270 copies of that GFWLive folder :D

Is the fix posted on YouTube this?.....

Go to savegames folder, and delete file named GTEHXOSJZ_0.

Then, copy GTEHXOSJZ_1 in the same folder, to a file named GTEHXOSJZ_0.

You'll have again the two files GTEHXOSJZ_0 and GTEHXOSJZ_1.

Just run the game, and loading savedata should be ok now

If it doesn't work, try reversing the files.

Your problem sounds exactly the same as I had and this at least enabled me to recover to my last save game, wheel and all!!
Strangely, after this happened twice, its not happened again. This game has a mind of its own I think!!

@GNU UK - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...... :D I apply the same rule to my firearm.

@Stevehaz - thats an old fix and does tend to result in resetting all your game progress and data back to scratch.
The exe stopping working when its checking storage devices is caused by the controller. So I prefer the workaround where you simply start the game with the keyboard (rather than your controller) and then just setup the controller when you get into the game. You will lose your last session data (setups/times) but not your online rank or anything (setups/times) from earlier sessions - plus you dont need to dick about with copy and renaming files.

I manually save my profile in-game before, during and after I finish playing, just before I exit the game - so far not had the corrupted problem.

Is the fix posted on YouTube this?.....

Your problem sounds exactly the same as I had and this at least enabled me to recover to my last save game, wheel and all!!
Strangely, after this happened twice, its not happened again. This game has a mind of its own I think!!

Yes mate...thats the fix ive done about 5 times now.......and strangley, on 1 occasion my progress was still there after the fix....but the other times i lost everything,including all my setups !!!
Im not a pc expert, but what im doing now is after ive finished playing i copy the savegame folder in my documents/mygames/f1 2011/savegame........
Im hoping that if this happens again, which im sure it will, i can copy the one ive saved and replace it with the one in documents/mygames/f12011/savegame.....and hopefully have all my progress back.....Do u think that will work??

@GNU UK - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...... :D I apply the same rule to my firearm.

@Stevehaz - thats an old fix and does tend to result in resetting all your game progress and data back to scratch.
The exe stopping working when its checking storage devices is caused by the controller. So I prefer the workaround where you simply start the game with the keyboard (rather than your controller) and then just setup the controller when you get into the game. You will lose your last session data (setups/times) but not your online rank or anything (setups/times) from earlier sessions - plus you dont need to dick about with copy and renaming files.

I manually save my profile in-game before, during and after I finish playing, just before I exit the game - so far not had the corrupted problem.

Hi Paul.......i have no choice but to start the game with my keyboard, cos i play with keyboard and not a controller !!
Do u think what im doing in regard to my savegame folder will do the trick??

It might well work, I suppose it depends on the integrity of the savegame data you are backing up. If it became corrupted when you exited the game before you did the backup, then you may still run into problems - but then hopefully you will still have the previous backup to restore and only lose the data from the last session, rather than everything. (if that makes sense!)
Maybe it would be worth picking up a cheap controller so you have an alternative way of starting the game, however you do still lose the last sessions data with that method.

It really is a shambles we are 2 patches into game and its still a lottery whether your game data will corrupt - fundamental stuff.
Can you imagine any other market where this would be acceptable? Anyway - not the thread for a rant, but sheeesh!! :D

Sheeesh! ....... is the correct word. A career base game where there is no guarantee about the state of the career save file :eek:

As Paul says, by backing up you hopefully don't lose any more than the last session (that's bad enough!). Usually for me, it's the controller 'thing', so I start with the keyboard and then remap/adjust where required. I then check the career status, and if all is ok then I carry on. If it's not, I then work my back through the 2 hourly backups, to see if I can recover it.

Usually it's OK, I tend to lose my latest car setups the most, as I am tweaking a lot since patch 2.

It might well work, I suppose it depends on the integrity of the savegame data you are backing up. If it became corrupted when you exited the game before you did the backup, then you may still run into problems - but then hopefully you will still have the previous backup to restore and only lose the data from the last session, rather than everything. (if that makes sense!)
Maybe it would be worth picking up a cheap controller so you have an alternative way of starting the game, however you do still lose the last sessions data with that method.

It really is a shambles we are 2 patches into game and its still a lottery whether your game data will corrupt - fundamental stuff.
Can you imagine any other market where this would be acceptable? Anyway - not the thread for a rant, but sheeesh!! :D

I totally get ya paul......Cheers......heres to the next f1 exe has stopped working pfffttt :)

***UPDATE*** Well had the dreaded F1 exe stopped working yet again. Tried replacing a previous saved game....and hey presto it worked. All my setups and online rank were as before i got the error. Just hopes this carries on working !!!
Just a shame that this problem has not got a proper fix :-{

I keep a spreadsheet of my setups just in case I lose them. I use a wheel so all I've had to do is start the game with the keyboard and then redo the wheel setup. Like Paul, I lose my current session but then I have my spreadsheet with my setup on it.

Codemasters really need to get their **** together, 2 patches and this issue still exists. Does anyone know if there will be a patch 3?

Does anyone know if there will be a patch 3?

Codemasters have been almost totally silent on their forum about this, this is probably a major sign that there will not be a patch 3. They did this silent act last year when asked about another patch for F1 2010.

Therefore F1 2012 will likely be the new patch for F1 2011 (and the new beta combined ;) )

Thanks for the info Gnu UK, I don't bother checking their forum since i would feel the urge to post (and then get banned for asking for a patch).

Can't say I'm surprised, at least the game is not in a completely unplayable state. Guess my wallet can rest easier knowing I probably won't be picking up F1 2012.

I confess that initially installed the pirate game. but after they leave the two patches I bought the game
uninstalled it wiped all the files and installed the original game from there and crash the game started having problems with the steering wheel. and after a few races my car was black.
the curious that none of this happened with pirate game

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing