DiRT 2 Colin McRae: DiRT 2

I played it, it's good, but like with DiRT, it's very hard to control the car on gravel with the gamepad. Tarmac is fine, but gravel is very hard with the controller. Also, when you oversteer the car, you apply opposite lock and it sometimes does nothing and slowly spins out.

[QUOTE=Mark Birney;384453]I played it, it's good, but like with DiRT, it's very hard to control the car on gravel with the gamepad. Tarmac is fine, but gravel is very hard with the controller. Also, when you oversteer the car, you apply opposite lock and it sometimes does nothing and slowly spins out.[/QUOTE]

^I'll second that^ it would have been nice for what is possibly the last "mcrae" titled dirt to have gone with a more simulation based game, like the first 4 episodes, but you carn't argue with the visual aspect of the new game it's stunning

neil

Just played the demo and must say was surprised with how much fun i had. Sure the control is a bit "arcady" and same goes for the menu styling, but I do see how it could be great fun online in a party of 8 people. I really liked the rally stages where you can see your oponents as ghosts but you cant be wrecked by other drivers, wrecking your car by yourself is no problem at all :) The cockpit view is good to, damage could look better like cracks in window, but maybe in final release it will. I think I will be buying this title, not for serious league races but just to have a good laugh with a few people online.

Forgot this thread :)

Tried the demo several times. Me likes it a lot.
Realtime reflections on the hood, spectacular view in the cockpit especially in the water splashes and crashes.

The sense of speed is much higher than the previous Dirt. The brakes are worse too, which is good because in Dirt (1) you could brake within 10meters on any surface. The default demo rally car is a bit twisty but the gameplay is excellent.
The other car in the demo offers some 4x4 rallycross and its fun also. This car feels also better than the ones in Dirt 1.

The menu system is nice initially, with the camper as central starting point, but I could imagine it will annoy people after seeing it already 10 times.

New to Dirt is the starting sequence where AI starts before and after yourself. You can pass them or be passed. A nice addition to rally racing :)

The game was already on pre-order for me, and after playing this demo I keep it on the pre-order. For sure I will enjoy this one for a long time. Its far better then Dirt 1 which I played a lot and liked.:chuck:

Very fun demo! The car doesnt handle very realisticly but its still a lot of fun drifting round every corner, Will probabaly buy the game, just depends when the release date of the new Call of Duty and Gran Turismo 5 are.

Got some time to play it tonight on my PS3. I'd previously only played the demo on the 360 but I don't have a wheel for that yet and on the joypad the handling felt odd, floaty and not like I was connected in any way to the car. On my PS3 with my Logitech G25 hooked up it was like a different game! suddenly the car had weight, the steering was not as light and the car felt much more realistic in its handling. It was like a whole new physics engine was dropped in when you use a force feedback wheel.

• Bert Van Waes

I'm downloading it wright now. Just to check if G25 is still working, curious though, i totally missed this thread... :)

• holmglen03

Really impressed with the demo, great work again from Codemasters, only complaint is that even on the easiest difficulty level, I finish 7/8 every time, and I'm normally very good with driving games. So frustrating. Still, preordered from GAME.

• Bert Van Waes

I have to say that i quite liked the demo. Finally they added weight to the car. Smth that was entirely gone in first dirt.
You could'nt powerslide and countersteer the car, the moment you did it did a tankslap, always...
But now, their is finally smth feelable and driveable going on. I think i'll buy this one for the fun off it. I have an old wooden skeleton as a rig from my GT4 days, and now will be used again with DFGT on. This was still waiting for GT5, but now i can warm it up again with smth. Btw it feels very nice with a steering wheel. You have an option in there of 900° but it feels terrible. But i think you can alter it to a bit less by changing some sliders, i dun know...

Really fun rally racer here, but shame the X is a biggy in the game. Graphics geourgious!

• Bert Van Waes

i bought the game today and i love the gameplay, plus it is stunning to look at in replay. very rewarding system for moving up the ladder.

btw to fire up a tire debate. this game has deforming tires.:th_blush:

I decided to go buy the game with an open mind...I then took it back to get a refund.

The game is more like a tribute to Ken Block than a tribute to Colin.. Its like doing a tribute game for Lewis Hamilton, yet having a IRL driver as the main attraction

They should of catered for their rally fans more (whom bought into the CMR franshise), but they have been ignored....

just started playing the full version...

what i like: the game looks great, cars are now actually drivable, a lot of variety in races, nice damage, windscreen and dashboard toys :p

what i dislike: it's not really a rally game (more baja and rallycross), ai can be stupid, team events are not really team events (team mate took me out in order to win), menu system (takes ages to do anything)...

not really a Colin tribute either... the game is mainly focused on X Games stars (Mirra, Pastrana, Foust or Block)... however, there is a Colin McRae Challenge Event, winning it gives you an achievement called For Colin...

overall a good game, could do with more rally events though :(

I downloaded the demo yesterday

It is a pretty fun game, it is more like a arcade/sim, closer to getting to the sim world(not there yet.) I was really expecting the driving to suck like Grid with the wheel. I was surprised to actually have control of the cars and trucks with a wheel. Grid PC (with G25) and 360 (with MS Wheel), I tried every setting, I could not get the cars to go in a straight-line with those wheels, while trying minimum steering inputs to keep the car in a straight-line. The best thing on Grid was the drift mode. Well back to Dirt 2, I could handle the cars with the hand held controller just like Grid. But, I was still skeptical about trying the steering wheel. I was expecting disappointment(good with the controller and sucks with the wheel,) but as the above I was surprised to be able to control the cars and trucks in the demo with the wheel and no adjustments to the settings. I found that they used more of the steering inputs instead of just a few degrees to the left or right. I am still waiting on a game that uses the full 240 degrees of the 360 wheel. I am going to getting this game. The game play is very fun (except for those dirty racers that wreck you on purpose.) The menu system was not very good to me. I think the menu was geared more for kids than adults. Good game overall. I almost forgot the driving through the water on the incar view. That is fun until you crash into the rocks, waiting on the wipers.

Got Dirt 2, I love it. The handling is better than the demo and it is a fun game. The only thing it is missing is pictures and it would help if they could be taken from the instant replay.

I'm loving how fun this game is! I played it on the Xbox with the microsoft wheel and loved it but I bought a G25 recently and tried it out on the PS3. I was totally blown away with how much better it feels to play with the G25. Especially with the H shifter...

just got Dirt2 and its fanstatic Dirt1/Dirt was always my fav game even though it was years old and now Dirt2 is :D

in the interviews with KenBlock he said that he had tweaked the handling to make it as real as possible but I still find it hard to beleive that you can go round a corner at a million mph in a rally car. Still its nice and racey which is why i love it

Dan.

The handling is awesome

I was shocked, when I got the game. This is the first game. That you can use the whole steering input. My comment from above about a game never has used the full steering input with the xbox wheel. Well when you are side ways and let off the gas in Dirt 2, turn the wheel all the way to the left and you can get the car going straight again. This game only lacks a snapshot mode of those near misses. Going to get NFS Shift today. Hope it is good or back to Dirt 2 after I beat Shift until Forza 3.

• James Snelling

just got Dirt2 and its fanstatic Dirt1/Dirt was always my fav game even though it was years old and now Dirt2 is :D

in the interviews with KenBlock he said that he had tweaked the handling to make it as real as possible but I still find it hard to beleive that you can go round a corner at a million mph in a rally car. Still its nice and racey which is why i love it

Dan.

I compete in rallying and have been in many WRC cars that are privately owned on gravel rally stages and believe me, they are soo chuckable, grippy and controllable just like on Dirt 2..

It is pretty realistic handling wise, the way the cars behave is great..

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 399 40.0%