2012 World Rally Championship

So that everyone can understand:

French triple rally champion and winner of 2 WRC events in 1999, former Citroen rally driver Philippe Bugalski (aged 49) passed away yesterday after he accidentally fell from [not mentioned if from a tree or something else, in French it simply says the equivalent of "plunged"].

He greatly contributed to the development of Citroen in the WRC with his performances in the Xsara until 2009. Since 2009 he worked with Automeca.

Rallye-Sport.fr would like to express it's sincere condolences to everyone close to Philippe Bugalski...FAREWELL BUG!

French Rally Champion 1998, 1999, 2000
French 2L Series Champion 1995
2 WRC victories in 1999 (Catalunya & Corsica)
31 victories whilst competing in the French Championship
10 victories whilst competing in the European Championship

Well we've just had our first discussion for Downforce, so thanks very much to Liam Jenkins and Toby Davis for their help and wisdom!

Our next debate is this:

Is the WRC the saving grace of rallying as a sport?

We want to hear what you have to say on all things rallying: do you like it, love it, think it's had its day, what do you think? Please let us know and your thoughts will be in the second programme!

In it's current status. No. The current world rally championship isn't really doing much for the sport. This last year has been pretty rough for it though with no global promoter. However, I believe in the last 5 or so years the sport has declined in it popularity, from what I can tell, caused by the lack of manufacturers and as much as this may anger a few fans; Sebastian Loeb's success. Now don't get me wrong, I am not anti-Loeb, his success can be contributed not only to his incredible talent, but the situation of the sport. The lack of other competitive manufacturers, has meant that are less drivers in works seats, hence less competition for Loeb. Citroen is a full factory backed effort. Ford is not, Ford basically contract out M-Sport to do it for them and give them a budget. Citroen's budget is a lot more than M-Sport's. BMW stopped funding Prodrive's Mini WRC campaign full time, only supporting their build of the cars. If you want to be competitive then you have to be ready spend the required amount. I suspect this was the reason that, in Subaru World Rally Team's final years, they lacked the competitiveness we were used to seeing because Subaru were unwilling to give Prodrive a big enough budget to develop a highly successful car, ultimately ending the Subaru's participation in WRC because Subaru couldn't afford it. As we have seen over the last two seasons, the second most competitive driver has been the Citroen #2 driver. Sebastian Loeb's amazing success has made the sport somewhat predictable, which is what rallying never was up until Loeb. I am not saying Loeb should retire and bugger off and let someone else win. Probably more than anyone, I want him to stay, because I want to see him beaten. There a plenty of fast and faster drivers there, they just don't have complete package that Loeb has.
However, I believe that things are going to get brighter for WRC and rallying. With Volkswagen coming in next year, apparently Hyundai and Toyota potentially coming in the future, and if Red Bull Media House are taking over promotion then the sport should start pick up again. Don't surprised if VW are competitive right out of the gate, they look they mean business. In 2013 they will be there to win. Next year will be very interesting for the sport. If the sport's popularity rises then more manufacturers might take interest. The more money that is floating around in the sport the better.
In my opinion, rallying as a motor sport, is much more interesting than any other, but now other people need to be able to see that as well, for the good of the sport.

Absolutely love Dave Goddard's comments on the Facebook group:

"Looking at the entry list for Rally GB - 30 cars, of which only THREE are British drivers, and it will be run in September when it was once a traditional winter event and a proper rally of attrition.

This used to be a massive week-long event which the whole country used to follow, with well over 100 cars including a chance for a lot of British club drivers to shine alongside the big stars and for...
the public to see them up close local to them. Nowadays it's a two-day sprint around Wales where stages get cancelled for a bit of mud (which there won't be any of this year as it will still be summer), there are maybe four proper world-class drivers in the lineup and everyone knows who will win it before the start. And people wonder why no-one wants to watch or promote the WRC."

Anything else you guys can add about rallying, the good times, the bad times, please tell us!! We want your comments on the show!!

It's problems are symptomatic of modern motorsport's problems as a whole, in that it's no longer a valid avenue of either marketing or research for manufacturers (with the possible exception of hybrid endurance racing). I also think people are, in general, much more difficult to entertain these days.

The WRC's issues are further compounded by the domination of a discipline by a lone individual that seemed unthinkable even when we were watching Michael Schumacher pick up a 7th F1 championship.

After another tragedy, where was killed spectator and another injured, the event was cancelled. RIP :( :(
284453_517093981649638_1302819128_n.jpg

Robert-Kubica-2_2685339.jpg

Robert Kubica made a winning return to competitive motorsport at the Ronde Gomitolo di Lana in Italy on Sunday.

The former F1 driver, who has been out of action since his horrific rally accident in February last season, was back behind the wheel in Italy.

Driving a Subaru Impreza World Rally Car, Kubica won all four stages of the rally to claim the title by almost a minute over his nearest rival, Omar Bergo.

The Pole is hoping that the rally is just another step towards a possible return to Formula One.
"Being here is already a good step, but I would have preferred to be somewhere else," the 27-year-old told SkySport24 ahead of the event.
"I have still got a long road to travel and will probably never be at the same physical level as before but I don't intend to give up.

source

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back