2009 A1GP

Possible delay for Chinese and Malaysian rounds

05 November 2009

The first two meetings of the upcoming A1GP season could be postponed until the New Year, GPUpdate.net has learned. With championship administrators still attempting to resolve issues which have already seen the Australian Surfers Paradise event cancelled, shadows have now been cast over the new campaign kicking off on this side of Christmas.

With the pair of season-opening races in Australia having already been called off, it now looks likely that the two following meetings in Zhuhai and Sepang could be placed on pause until the start of next year, possibly being slotted into position on the calendar before South Africa's event, which is scheduled to take place on the weekend of 27-28 February.

"Basically what's happened is, until we get everything sorted we can't go ahead," an A1GP spokesperson told GPUpdate.net. "Nothing has been cancelled but I know the guys out there are looking for alternatives because I think it would be very, very difficult (to stage the races on the weekends of their current dates)."

China's races next weekend look particularly unlikely to take place on their pre-scheduled dates, mostly due to the logistical problems which this would now present at such late notice, should the go-ahead be given. Governing body the FIA is fully aware of the possible date changes.
GP Update

Hans

• Wido Rossen

No A1GP`s this year.

The A1 GP events scheduled for China and Malaysia have been formally canceled, following the cancellation of the Australia race that was supposed to open the season.

Moreover, all of A1 GP's hardware has been placed in storage because of the expiration of the lease on the organization's base at the Silverstone circuit in England. While A1 GP principal Tony Teixeira is still trying to restructure the holding company, an appointed administrator is attempting to find a buyer for the fleet of A1 GP single-seaters and the intellectual-property rights to the series. But its future is looking increasingly bleak.

( source autoweek.com )

What a bad news! :( I so enjoyed these series the last years! Finally something innovative with regards to competition and now this !

Bad news!

• Wido Rossen

Dammed, a moved from Zandvoort to Assen for Jack ****.

Luckily there`s more than just A1.....:struggle:

What is going to happen to this serie?

Does anybody know what is the status of A1GP at the moment? Last news was that the races of China and Malasia had been cancelled.

Does this mean the whole season is now off?

Its really sad but once it stopped being a rich Sheik's play thing they struggled financially. It could have become so much more than a sideshow to F1 and I'm sad to see it has gone but hope it may be resurrected

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.9%