2009 24 Hours of Le Mans

Mansell joins Le Mans Series with son

19 August 2009

British motor racing legend Nigel Mansell will return to the international motorsport arena next month when he races a Ginetta-Zytek GZ09S in the Le Mans Series finale at Silverstone. Mansell will be joined by his son Greg.

With his son Leo driving the team Modena's Ferrari F430 GT in LMGT2, we can say that the 1000 Km of Silverstone will be a family affair for Nigel Mansell!

Mansell said of his return to top level racing: "It's going to be very special for me to be racing again at Silverstone where I've had some of my most memorable wins. I'm delighted that Lawrence has given us the opportunity to compete in the Ginetta-Zytek car and having tested it today at Snetterton, I've no doubt its going to be an incredible weekend."

His son, 21 year old 2009 Renault World Series competitor, Greg added: "I'm very excited to be making my LMP1 debut and to be racing at Silverstone alongside my father and Lawrence. It's a phenomenal track to compete at and to be racing in the championship finale is going to make it all the more special."

Finale Race at Silverstone:13 September
GP Update

Went to see it on Saturday mainly for the photos. Couple of pics:

8523.jpg

8480.jpg

Pictures: LMS 2009 Portimao, Algarve, Portugal

Better late than never ... but just published some pics from The Algarve round of the Le Mans series at:

www.leedownham.com

I have been rather busy lately so its taken some time to get to these ... enjoy :glasses-cool:

New rules put LMP coupes in doubt

Coupe prototype designs could disappear from the Le Mans 24 Hours as the result of new rules planned for 2011, reports this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.
Draft 2011 rules communicated to manufacturers and constructors last week will ensure that "no one in their right mind would build a closed car", according to Aston Martin Racing team principal George Howard-Chappell.
The Automobile Club de l'Ouest revealed that it is planning to remove the power break given to coupes when the new Le Mans engine formula comes into force the year after next.
LMP1 and LMP2 coupes are afforded larger diameter air restrictors than their open top counterparts because they are forced to run air conditioning. This reflects the fact that an air-con system saps engine power.
"There will be no incentive to do a closed car, and you need that because a coupe is more work," said Howard-Chappell. "There is a small aerodynamic advantage in running a closed car, but there are so many negatives.
"You have to engineer doors, there is the question of additional weight and keeping the screen clean. It is a much more complex car."
Peugeot team manager Serge Saulnier also criticised the move.
"There needs to be an equivalence because of the power [sapped by the air-con] and the complexity of the system," he said.
He also questioned the rule change on safety grounds.
"It is stupid to push people to make an open car in terms of safety," he said. "We believe that a closed car is the safer way."

Source

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79443

le mans symposium and car show in hamburg

the hamburg based historic car museum "PROTOTYP" is organizing a Le Mans Symposium and show. The Symposium will be held Saturday 28th November 2009, one of the guests present will be Mr LeMans, Tom Kristensen, Anybody can join for €15. The show will include several original LeMans cars, a simulator, film and other paraphernilia and will run from 28th Nov 09 till 28th March 10.

all info can be found here: http://www.prototyp-hamburg.de/

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back