2008 IndyCar Series

• Wido Rossen

Bobby D`s plans ruined due to ING pullout ?

Robert Doornbos should finally be able to reveal his programme for the coming season today [17 February], with the IndyCar Series still the expected destination for the Dutchman.

Amid rumour and counter-rumour - all denied by sources close to the former F1 pilot - a berth at Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing has emerged as his most likely destination, but the speculation surrounding the source of Doornbos' backing took another twist this week when it was announced that Dutch finance house ING would be withdrawing its support of the Renault F1 team at the end of 2009.

The same company had been widely touted as the backer Doornbos would be taking to secure his seat at NHLR, but it has now been confirmed that ING never had any part to play in his search for a return to the US open-wheel scene.

"There were some speculative rumours about Robert and IndyCar - in fact, we've been questioned about our supposed involvement in every team, every driver and every form of motorsport at some point or another," an ING spokesman told.

"I can confirm that ING has no involvement with Robert, or any plans to enter IndyCar, although ING has previously used Robert for some demonstration drives at the Rotterdam City event during '07 and '08."

The driver's official website has given 17 February as the date for an announcement regarding his future, and reports that he has been to the United States for 'medical and physical tests' as he edges 'a little closer to a seat in an IndyCar Series top team'.

NHLR remains the favoured destination for Doornbos, where he would likely line up alongside retained 2008 pilot Graham Rahal and monied Venezuelan Milka Duno, although the Dutchman did begin his search for a seat by returning to the HVM squad that ran him under the Minardi Team USA banner in the final year of Champ Car.

At this time Roberts website has not revealed it`s plans as promised.
Let`s hope it`s not thrue and that Robert drive a IRL car this year.

• Wido Rossen

Update on Robert Doornbos

Update 18-2-2009 on Roberts website.

Bobby D Day

18 February 2009 - The publication about Bobby D’s plans for 2009 has to wait a little longer because of organizational reasons from the team.

As soon as we can bring the news about Bobby D’s plans, we will put it on this website.

http://www.robertdoornbos.com/

• Wido Rossen

Robert "Bobby D" Doornbos

Bobby D goes Homestead

Although the publication about Bobby D's plans for 2009 is delayed, we can announce that Bobby D for the first time will test for the Indycar Series. Next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday he will race on an oval in Homestead :clap:(USA). Bobby D will be accompanied by a former Dutch 'Indy 500' champion.

As soon as the pictures of the test are available, we will put them on this website.

( Source www.robertdoornbos.com )

• Wido Rossen

Doornbos to drive for Newman/Haas/Lanigan

20 februari 2009 - LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill. (February 20, 2009) – Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing (NHLR) announced today that Dutch driver Robert Doornbos, 27, will join the team for the 2009 IndyCar Series (ICS) season. Details of the sponsorship will be announced at a later date.

While competing against NHLR in the Champ Car World Series in 2007 as a rookie, Doornbos finished on the podium five of the first six races including a win in Mont Tremblant, Canada. He went on to finish third in season standings to NHLR driver Sebastien Bourdais, who earned his fourth straight series title, and second place finisher Justin Wilson, who drove for the team in 2008. Most recently Doornbos competed in the China and New Zealand rounds of the 2008/2009 A1GP series and finished on the podium twice in the four races (sprint and feature race per round).

"I'm very happy and proud to get this chance to race with Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing,” said Doornbos. “Racing in the IndyCar Series has been my biggest dream and especially to do it with Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing. The history of the team and the big success they have had in the past really attracted me and it makes me proud to become part of this winning team. Racing on the ovals should be very exciting. It will be tough, but I'm training as much as possible and am in good condition and ready to achieve results. I’m also excited to race in the legendary Indy 500. I really want to thank Mr. Haas and Mr. Lanigan for giving me this chance. I'm looking forward to the first race."

Doornbos initially pursued a professional career in tennis but once he was exposed to racing he changed vocations. He spent four seasons in various ladder series in Europe before he became the 2004 Rookie of the Year in the FIA International Formula 3000 series and finished third in series standings. That success led to becoming a test driver for two Formula One programs and he eventually made 11 Formula One starts during the 2005 and 2006 seasons for Minardi and Red Bull Racing, respectively before he moved to the Champ Car World Series in 2007. He planned to build on his Champ Car success in 2008 but the late reunification of open wheel racing before that season began forced him to put his plans of racing in the United States on hold until 2009.

"Mike and I are excited to add Robert to our lineup,” said Carl Haas, co-owner of Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing. “He was a fierce competitor in Champ Car and we are hoping for the same in the IndyCar Series. He was able to quickly adapt to the new challenges in Champ Car which should bode well for the learning curve we will face in getting him acclimated to oval racing.”

The first test of the 2009 IndyCar Series season will take place at Homestead-Miami Speedway on February 23-25 and will mark the first time for Doornbos to drive on an oval. The 2009 season will begin with the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on April 5. NHLR earned their first ICS victory, and 106th of 107 overall in the event last year while Rahal became the youngest winner in series history in his Indy car racing debut.

About Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing…

Newman/Haas Racing (NHR) was formed by actor/race car driver Paul Newman and racing entrepreneur Carl A. Haas and began competing in 1983. The team is the second most successful open wheel team competing today. Prior to their 25th season of competition in 2007 the team name changed to Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing to reflect the addition of Michael Lanigan as partner. In 2009 the team will participate in their 27th season of open wheel competition and will attempt to add to the eight championships, 107 race wins and 107 pole positions they have earned to date. Graham Rahal and Robert Doornbos were preceded at the team by Mario and Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell, Paul Tracy, Christian Fittipaldi, Cristiano da Matta, Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junqueira, Oriol Servia and Justin Wilson.

yes yes yes :clap:

( source robertdoornbos.com )

• Wido Rossen

Robert Doornbos surprised by first oval laps

Robert Doornbos :chuck: admitted that he had been surprised by his first taste of oval driving after completing his maiden IndyCar Series test at Homestead last night.

The former Formula One driver joined fellow 2009 rookies Raphael Matos (Luczo Dragon), Mike Conway (Dreyer & Reinbold) and Stanton Barrett (3G) for an additional session on the Miami oval prior to the opening test of the season at Homestead tonight.

Doornbos, who completed his deal with Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing last week, said the test had felt like his 'first day at school'.

"Driving on an oval is definitely different than I expected," he said after completing 111 laps during the evening.

"It felt like going to a new school on the first day. I didn't really know what to expect but I got a lot of information from the team but you have to do it for yourself.

"The first five laps I thought 'Oh my god, where did I end up?' But that's because you have to run at a certain pace and once you reach that pace its actually quite fun so we ended the day on a good note and I can go to bed with a smile.

"I already got the bug and want to go faster and faster so that's a good thing. Today was definitely the fastest I have gone in a race car and I am quite proud."

The Dutchman expects an even greater challenge tonight when 22 drivers are expected to take to the track for the six-hour floodlit session.

"I have no idea what to expect with traffic," said Doornbos. "It must be something like driving in the middle of the night in China, the traffic is quite bad there.

"I will just take it as it comes. It's a steep learning curve but I enjoy it like this."

• Wido Rossen

Well , he`s pretty fast for his first ever oval practice.

lol1.jpg

GO GO Boddy D :highfive:

Junior Strous Indycars Light

In the shadow of what is going on with Robbert Doornbos ,there is another
Dutch driver in the Indycar light series : Junior Strous one of the most talented
drivers from the Netherlands.

Saturday he dit his first drive on a Oval after 150 laps he came out as third
fasted,(fasted Rookie) tonight he was sixth fasted after 180 laps.

Certainly a man to watch this year...

Junior Strous-007.jpg

Junior Strous-002.jpg

Junior Strous-001.jpg

Hans

• Wido Rossen

Yep, is get`s used pretty fast in a unknown car.
I hope he can show some champcar results this season.
That would be great and give`s him a big chance for next season.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 87 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 71 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 95 13.8%