1957 Simca Aronde Elysée

"Flash" is the name of the engine updated for 1955-1959 models. It's an I4. My notes put it at 57 ps @ 5400 rpm, 88 Nm @ 2700 rpm, but that's all I really know about it.

Because I'm using Blender 2.49 which seems to be a little different with respect to UV mapping compared to the version boomer's tutorial uses I'm going to leave a little step by step for myself, since I run into the same problem every time I try to export something.

1) Make sure polies are assigned to correct materials.
2) Open UV editor window.
3) Use "select by material" button on each material to choose all faces.
4) Make sure it automatically chooses a texture in the UV editor window.
5) If not, select a texture for the material. This will be the default texture if a shader is missing.
6) Repeat for all materials.

Once this is done, I can just use the exporter and it does the right thing.

A little more progress on the interior model, still got some things to do
- interior of the doors/trunk
- dashboard
- steering column
- seats
It is getting closer to being ready for an alpha release (untextured). I find writing things down in a list helps me get them done.

So, I have some screenshots of it ingame with the body exported from Blender for the first time. It's not perfect cause I don't know how to apply the modifiers individually before merging objects, and only some use the edgesplit.

Attachments

• aronde-int.jpg
    aronde-int.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 589
  • aronde-int2.jpg
    aronde-int2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 833
Blender 2.49 is a bit different with texturing. I still use 2.45. Sometimes an upgade doesn't improve a great progarm!

A different note.
I posted a note about Qlog errors in the GMC 1500 truck thread but the creator never checked and replied.

Everyone, please check your Qlog before final release of a car/track!

I haven't really spent any time on Racer, in the last month or likely the coming months either, so I thought I'd post a beta of this so at least other people can enjoy it (or complain about lack of non-cg shaders).

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2751
Note: If you're missing the chrome cg file, it's in the attached rar. Put it in data\renderer\shaders_hdr.
The interior is only partly complete & there's one Qlog error I don't know how to fix, but it's better than nothing.

Hopefully I can make some time for this in the coming months but if not, there it stands. Assistance with contributions to ini, sounds, gauges etc. are appreciated to push this toward completion. I've left notes in the car.ini where I found actual data but there's not much of it, so a lot is just on 'feel'.

The car.shd is a bit of a mess because when I switched from ZModeler to Blender exports, the material names all got changed, and I just linked them to the old ZMod names. And the body texture is mapped fairly stupidly, and is on my internal list of things to fix once I figure out more about using Blender. I wouldn't recommend trying to make any schemes more complicated than a colour change until a more final version's out.

Attachments

• dyn_standard_reflect_chrome_f.rar
    1 KB · Views: 265
Damn man, cool car. I hope you get some time to finish it. I can't help you at all because I don't know shiet about modeling and tuning in Racer really.
I really like your car so far :)

Thanks for giving us this sneak peek, it sure looks promising at this stage already. I hope it eventually turns out as nice as your RX-7 did back in the days.

car still does not load - oops deisregard or delete this

oH dear wat a nerd I shuld read the instructions first place it in the wrong folder hehehe ...
PLEASE delete this post .. mdbobbo

Hi there Stereo and others working on this fantastic car,

I downloaded the new Chrome cg file and still have an error message coming up
here's a picture of the error log, I hope this helps.

or of course it might be a error with my setting why the car does not load.
I'm running the following system..

[Display]
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1150 (2009 MHz)
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 2)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce 8600 GT
Driver version: 197.45
CUDA Cores: 32
Core clock: 540 MHz
Shader clock: 1188 MHz
Memory clock: 300 MHz (600 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 1279 MB
Dedicated video memory: 512 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 767 MB
Video BIOS version: 60.84.54.00.00
IRQ: 17
Bus: PCI Express x16
[Components]
nvCplUI.exe 2.8.313.10 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSS.dll 6.14.11.9745 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.11.9745 NVIDIA Video Server
nvMoblS.dll 6.14.11.9745 NVIDIA Mobile Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.11.9745 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 6.14.11.9745 NVIDIA Display Server
NVCPL.DLL 8.17.11.9745 NVIDIA Compatible Windows7 Display driver, Version 197.45
PhysX 09.09.1112 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.11.9745 NVIDIA CUDA 3.0.1 driver
nvGameS.dll 6.14.11.9745 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
--------------

and of course I'm not really sure if my race_ini file is correctly set for this to work with my system, but here's the error I get.

Attachments

• cg-error.jpg
    cg-error.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 364
Not exactly an update... but I just got Blender 2.57 installed and exporting on my new computer. And I have a little free time. So I've kinda started working again.

XKlgX.jpg

- made hood smoother (headlights and fenders still need some work in this area)
- broke off a bunch of parts to make generic objects (suspension is ready, just needs to be positioned)
- can't see it, but the car itself is now 98% solid

As I make them solid, I'll export the doors & trunk, then work on a solid interior object. Right now I'm working on the front doors.

I kinda like how it looks without the trunk... really emphasizes the fins. Probably takes a few hundred pounds off the GVWR, too.

aUACX.jpg

CkcOb.jpg

- added driver + rear suspension generic models. Already modeled, just needed to be translated into place - aside from the pumpkin they're pretty much impossible to see. You can kinda see the bits of the solid axle in the second picture cause the smoke silhouettes them. Also, the driver has no back, he really needs a seat. Kept him as a separate generic model so a real animated driver can easily be substituted in.
- corrected some minor exporting defects (reversed normals)
- closed a hole around the edge of the trunk
Tomorrow: Tackle the front suspension, hopefully get it done and go back to modeling parts that aren't yet ready.

On the shader side of things, both headlights and taillights have problems. If you look at my earlier screenshots, the headlights were much brighter. Need to figure out what changed in the cg shaders. And the taillights are just flat textured, which misses a lot of the nature of translucent glass.

+ 05/24
Put front suspension objects in place.
TO5Az.jpg

SPiQt.jpg

- front suspension put in place. All existing objects done; now it's back to modeling updates. I might change how the rear suspension works, generic models setup for leaf springs isn't perfect.
- better headlight shader, still works badly in shadows. First picture is modified "lights on" shader.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%