REQUEST: Formula 1 Vehicle

With all due respect Bram, I remember the thread a while back discussing this topic.

At the time I mentioned that the resource manager didn't offer a Racer upload option leaving me stuck hosting files for Racer myself.

I think it was suggested that a Racer upload section was added in that discussion about 6 months ago. I didn't 'shoot' down the idea, I simply said I wouldn't use it because it would be inappropriate for what I wanted to do.

In that case all I wanted to do was upload about 250k of small files in a zip file. A few DDS, a shader file and some other bits and pieces.

The problem for me was working in a thread with a few other people and having to take time to upload my own small zip files via my own hosting etc just for a few hundred k's of file... taking 5 mins each time to do that can get quite frustrating while other users enjoy megabytes of image uploads often in a single post.

I don't mind uploading and hosting my own files when they are big things like cars/tracks. I'm happy to take those costs myself rather than burden the RD forum hosting (as I already do)
I think I pay about £10 a month for 40gb of bandwidth and 100gb space. It was the painstaking fiddling to upload these tiny zips that was frustrating.

That is what prompted me to say I'd pay, because for me £5 a month for instance is cheap vs what might be 1hr a month fannying around adding links to tiny files I'm hosting myself, or even the time take to manage meta-data in the upload resource centre thingy.

As per the donations. I am more than willing to support this forum. As you can see I've donated a reasonable amount for a member who has apparently only ever 'nagged' about the forums since he arrived.

I've never asked for anything in return for the money I provided. I hope that money was gratefully received because it was given in the best possible interests. To keep a great welcoming community going!

So I'm not quite sure how much complaining I did since I arrived as you suggest, because the only time I ever complained was when there wasn't anywhere to upload my tiny zip file about 5 months ago. Since then I've not said anything about the forums again until now.

Personally I feel it's all been blown a bit out of proportion. Agreed I've become increasingly frustrated through this thread for which I am sorry to those I was a little short with at times trying to figure out the logic of the upload systems on offer here.

Dave

An earlier conversation with Bram on a download section for Racer

1. DavidI
    Hi Bram, could we possibly have a download section for Racer again?
    DavidI, Sep 14, 2012 Report

2. Bram Hengeveld Simta Claus Staff Premium

Hey,

I am not sure. After checking the last downloads we had from Racer there was a lot of "illegal" content in there. Unauthorized model conversions from other games and such that we as per our ToS cannot host or associated with.

If the racer community can upload 100% scratch build or 100% legal mods then sure no problem :D

Regards,
    Bram
    Bram Hengeveld, Sep 14, 2012 Report

3. DavidI
    I can only speak for myself, I would only upload my own creations. My Mugello track is technically a legal conversion from many, many years ago (I was given authorship of it by the creator for Racer over ten years ago); it doesn't have anything from the original conversion left in it, all meshes & textures have been recreated by me over the years (you can imagine how bad a ten year old model would look today).

As for the other 'Racers', I'm fairly certain they are aware of the rules, and I'm sure the threat of temporary or permanent banning of their user accounts would be a deterrent.
    How do you deal with it from other 'communities'? I'm sure 'Racers' weren't the only one attempting to upload 'unsuitable' content?

I'll nominate myself to be an extra moderator if that helps. I've been actively involved in the Racer community for well over ten years (so long I can't remember how long)
    DavidI, Sep 14, 2012 Report

4. Bram Hengeveld Simta Claus Staff Premium

Sorry for the late response.

I am not sure mate, would love to do some hosting but i dont have the time to go through all these files on daily basis. Last time too many bad conversions and illegal content was uploaded and I cannot afford to get into legal trouble really :D
So I take it Bram changed his mind ?

Last edited:
No Bram did not change his mind. The standpoint about legality stays firms and solid. We don't do illegal stuff.

If you guys follow the rules and only upload scratch build mods or conversions with full permissions and authorizations there is absolutely not a problem in hosting them in the RM.

But we will not allow "mods" that i see here too often with conversions from other games and are covered under the blanket of "private use".

No Bram did not change his mind. The standpoint about legality stays firms and solid. We don't do illegal stuff.

If you guys follow the rules and only upload scratch build mods or conversions with full permissions and authorizations there is absolutely not a problem in hosting them in the RM.

But we will not allow "mods" that i see here too often with conversions from other games and are covered under the blanket of "private use".
I think that's good actually. I only ever would upload a scratch made or legally converted car. Thins out the probability of cheaply converted car, because maybe its just me but I like my cars to be at least fairly close to accurate. Any cars I can't release, I only post pictures of, they'll never go beyond my computer.

Those trying to release cars illegally converted are just not bright to me. Just my 2 cents worth though.

I guess legality is a big issue.

Just a suggestion, if we have uploads from premium members only, and they flout the rules, then they get their subscription banned?
By giving something they then have something to lose which probably kills any bad motivations right away. More so that when content is uploaded it'll likely be peer reviewed by those here and appropriate measures can then be taken.

Also having it sub only means we are paying for the bandwidth too which seems kinda fair if that is what is a problem. I can see from RD's point of view that having illegal content hosted free is like a double whammy liability vs people paying and making sure it's also legal which is probably a polar opposite as a proposition for how to move forward.

In the end we all know that if we want these 'illegal' cars (which probably we all own from all the games we've bought anyway hehe), then we just go to Traccionserra or however you spell it... so no great loss to me that they can't be uploaded here.

In fact it'd be nice to have a system that assures the only stuff that would go on our resource section was good stuff, updated reasonably regularly etc, and totally legal and clean in all the ways we would like.

But I still have to say, it would be hugely convenient and useful to be able to upload small zips here. Every day I tinker with some TOD curves for Racer, or new sky textures, or shader files, or whatever else.

I don't share them because it takes longer to upload and input links and check downloads work etc, than it does to just post the stuff up.
Or from the resource system point of view it just feels like spam content. It doesn't need a new thread for it either. Often it just sits in-line in a discussion. Just like we discuss cars and post pictures or youtube links, being able to discuss cars and post new textures or shaders or suspension .crv files is always handy.

I remember a year or so back when we were posting shaders up in code parenthesis but without the actual names, because we couldn't upload the .shd files. It took us many posts just explaining to people how to make the shaders work, what to call them. How to set up windows to not hide file type extensions etc etc :D

Like I say I'll happily pay for this privilege. Put limits on it, charge extra for it. It's just something I'd really like and I can see it bringing in enough revenue from those users who would like to have that option to make it worth while administrating.

To me it's just all positives and win wins, but I appreciate that it might just be too much hassle to sort out.

Dave

I wasn't aware that there was any illegal uploads to the downloads section, considering I try to specifically check every new thread in cars/tracks to make sure and anything I've missed has been passed on to me by someone else. "Private Use" illegal converts aren't shared publicly either afaik.

Iirc most people just understood that if you wanted these cars you'd go to Traccionserra or people would chat/distro via MSN messenger/Skype or whatever else.

I don't think I ever saw anything that shouldn't have been here on the forums available to download... ever!

Good work I guess KS95 :D

Dave

Bit busy right now but I'm more than happy to make the ini 'good' and throw in some ok sound sets and make it fun enough to drive and feel about right for an F1 car :D

If I get the chance I'll do it one evening next week!

Dave

I used to have the Ferrari F189, but somehow managed to delete the car.ini file. I then discovered that I had not backed it up, and could not find the car anywhere on the internet. I would be grateful if someone could upload it please. (or the entire car)

Cheers, Sam

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 111 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 84 9.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%
  • < 5 years