Vista/Windows 7

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Bobs Track Builder requires Windows XP - I do not support Vista or Windows 7.

Although some people are successfully running BTB under Vista/Win7 I do not officially support it since I have not tested BTB under either of those operating systems. This is starting to change now as I now have Win7 x64, but it's early days and I need more testing under this operating system before I can officially support it.

If you do wish to persist with Vista/Win7 then you do so at your own risk. Make sure everything is "Run as Admininstrator"; that includes the HID.exe that is used to generate your HardwareId.txt. Better still, right-click on the icon, go to Properties, select the Compatability tab and tick the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox (at least this is what I see under Win7).

Remove all USB drives and reboot before running the HID.exe.

Some Vista/Win7 users report that their HardwareId number changes after a reboot and that only rebooting again will get the BTB license working again.

"No support" means I do not assist those with problems under Vista/Win7. These threads are your only means of support. People that email me will be directed here.

If you wish to move your license to a machine running XP you will need to wait until your license has expired, then generate and upload a new one on your XP machine.

The good news is that with the next beta version I am attempting to make sure BTB works properly under Windows 7. Fingers crossed!

A good experience with windows 7/64

After changing my harddisc during license period, I had to wait for months for the renewal. After a reinstall (forced by memory fault) I installed BTB EVO on a fresh machine. I do everything as administrator, not disturbed by the windows user control. I created the HID file and it worked for the full single-month period (better be careful). After four weeks with the old period still running, I built a new HID file and got me a new license. It still works fine. I hope this to go on so smooth. I have a second harddisc as an extern usb-device and I don't plug it off, neither for HID file-building nor while running BTB.

So maybe there is hope for the frustadet users.

running win7 64 bit - i get the occasional exception error but i can continue working

some things are quit slow however

clicking on a dot of the fastlane/pitlane and or moving it creates lag for seconds
moving terrain is somewhat slow but not as bad

anyone else got that ? or maybe know a fix ?

thanks in advance !

running win7 64 bit - i get the occasional exception error but i can continue working

some things are quit slow however

clicking on a dot of the fastlane/pitlane and or moving it creates lag for seconds

thanks in advance !

Same here. I didn't think it was due to Win7 though. I thought maybe its because im using it on my laptop and it might be limited. But i guess im wrong about that seeing im not the only one with the problem.

There are a couple of settings in Options that might help, but be aware that if you set the number of Undos to zero BTB won't make any backups in the Temporary Files folder, you'll have to do your own backups:

Update Timing
This determines when items are updated as you make changes.
Immediate - your entire Venue is recalculated each time you move the mouse whilst performing an action. This is ideal for seeing results in real time, however may slow down your progress, especially on larger projects.
Partly deferred - the item you are changing is updated immediately, however changes to walls, SObjects and Objects are delayed until the mouse has been released.
Deferred - No calculations are performed whilst you are moving the mouse. Only once the mouse button is release will the calculations be made. This will speed up the interface but at the sacrifice of delayed feedback.

and

Undo Limit
Set how many Undos can be performed. Increasing this will require a larger hard-drive capacity when working with large projects.
Setting this to zero will mean there is no Undo but will also greatly improve the speed of operations.

update timing does it sometimes

but all in all its ridiculously slow for no reason other than a lacking of win7/vista support

even a single click to paint terrain creates massive and complete lag (as in completely frozen) in 99 out of 100 tries

I got to thinking about it and it pissed me off more that this silly system of ant-piracy would do this.

Then after I ate breakfast it hit me.
DOH, I bet I know how to get this to work without doing what I did.

Heres the deal:

In order to get BTB to work under Win 7 you need to do this.

Download the new XP mode for Windows 7 here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Grab the XP mode d/l first and install it, then grab the WVPC d/l and install it.
Reboot, then run it. It'll take a bit for it to setup. Once that's done run Windows update from within XP mode " NOT from 7 "
Run update again, then you should be set except for DX Websetup. Grab that here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Install BTB, now it will work just fine.
You will have to move over your license to this new install on the REAL Vdrive it resides at.

You also need to move over all your Xpacks and your project folder.

When I say reboot, I mean inside XP NOT 7

Man, I cant get over how much of a turd XP is. It's been a long time since I have run it.

Anyway, there you go. Permanent fix for the problem.

anyone tried this ?

since nvidia reports my gfx card as a "Virtual PC Integration Components S3 Trio32/64"

i cant really run BTB on the virtualXP thing

am i missing something ?

Hello guys,
Next week I'll change my computer's operating system, will pass from Vista to Windows 7.
I have a great fear about what will happen to rfactor and BTB.
I read that there may be many problems with the licenses.
I am not an expert and so I ask your help for this important change.
At the time I saved to another hard disck complete folders with all the contents of rfactor is that of BTB.
With Windows 7 will be enough to copy the folders and BTB rfactor ?????
Excuse my language but not speak English and I am writing with a translator.
I ask you kindly explain the steps with simple language.
Thanks in advance.
Hello.
Fabio.

Fabio,
to install BTB (current version, as well as the new beta) the most important things are:
1. to install Windows 7 as admin / superadmin, so you will have all privileges (same on Vista)
2. to follow step by step the info of Brendon that you can find also here in other posts as well as the specific info related to the beta that was tested on Win7 (those are general information related to the best set for softwares born on XP but that you can use also on Win7
To copy BTB from vista to 7 as it is, could be not enough...
About old projects and additional XPacks, obviously you can copy the folders / files where they are stored by BTB

Im interested in getting BTB but have Windows 7 64-bit. Can anyone advise if BTB runs on their Win 7 64-bit OS?

I have Windows 7 64-bit, and BTB runs smooth as silk for me, apart from the odd error that I can dismiss and continue working :)

However, if you do have a problem, don't expect much support from Brendon, as he has never supported W7 until the new Beta. Generally, though you should be fine :)

HI!
I am a BTB Evo user and it runs for me first on Windows XP and after on Windows 7 64bit
for more then one Year now. I take my new license last month, february 2013 for again one Year and it always run fine.
Now since two days I can`t start no more BTB, it comes this Lock message!?
To day I`ve read all this Threads an follow all the Tips (not the VisualXP mode)
posted here. But its allways the same. Lock System!
What can I do? Wait for 11 monts?
I see this problem is since 2009 and now we write 2013.
By all Respect for Mr. Piddy, this is very sadly!
Sorry for my bad English!
Cheers! Franky.:cry:

Hi again!
This week I put my Windows back to 21.7 2012 and run BTB with my new License.
But again Lock System.
I follow all the tips written here, but always the same
Then I reinstall Windows completly new and also BTB, by starting the Trackbuilder
comes a long message with errors. Now I reinstall my last Windows configuration
and again Lock System.
I must say that I dont have do any change on my System by hardware.
Its the same since I bey this Laptop SamsungR780 with Windows 7 home Premium.
BTB always works fine on it, and from one day to the other(Lock System)
I also desinstall the last Windows Updates from 29.03 2013 becouse BTB
runs before. But nothing to do, Lock System.
This problem comes only by the Licence file, not by BTB software.
I dont know if the BTB Pro users have the same problems?
But I see the new Beta Version of BTB Pro since 2011 is out.
And the BTB Evo? Has not priority to adjust also the Licence file?
Any other Licensed Program Software you can bey has continuos Updates
and renovations, but BTB?
I dont write to Mr. Brandon becouse he direct on this page here!
And nothing resolves.
But I must say: A so great tool like Bobs Track Builder have no merit to
die with Windows XP!
And I hope for a Fix of this problem so suddenly as possible by the programmer.
Please! Mr Piddy! Give it to us! We all wait impatince for it!
I think that I can write this for all BTB users. And HOPE again!
And sorry for my bad English again!
Greatings Franky!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%