AIW editing for mod tracks in AMS: how?

AMS modding newbie here who recently got back into sim racing. I'm absolutely loving driving Automobilista, especially CART Extreme (since I'm a huge AOWR fan). Would love to contribute to this awesome game and put in some work on improving mod track AIWs – for example on the JNS Oval tracks.

How to go about doing this? Any experts have any tips they can share?

Disclaimer: I don't think this question has been explicitly addressed in existing threads. If it has, my apologies – in this case, it'd be greatly appreciated if you could direct me to those discussions.

**One potential method that came to mind after doing some research: for rFactor conversions, could one modify the AIW "the old-fashioned way" using the rFactor AIWCAM Editor on the old rFactor track and then use that AIW file in the AMS version?

Yeah, the AI do jam on the brakes under blue flags sometimes. In a multiclass race, the faster-class AI also struggle sometimes to overtake in a straight line, usually needing to brake or let off the throttle behind the slower-class car.

Matthew Sibanyoni, the modder behind the Grand Touring Group 5 mod for AMS, has toyed around with various blue flag series file settings and has come up with well-optimized parameters to make them behave as well as they can. I'm currently away from my home PC, but when I'm back, I'll share them here (and remind me if I forget!).

However, I'm not aware of a fix for the straight line multiclass issue in AMS or its sister titles like rF1 and GTR2. As far as I know, Le Mans Ultimate is the first isiMotor-derived AI that pulls this off successfully (which is one reason I've been really enjoying that game – you can race the AI through traffic convincingly in a top class car!).

Mind you I must admit it is a few years since I did my full Formula Classic races so maybe I've just not come across this after the last updates.
You may be right, morsify. I've heard people say that earlier AMS versions (1.3x, perhaps) had less of an issue with straight-line passing under multiclass or blue flags.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 450 69.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 297 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 173 26.8%
Back